My December

“This is my December. This is my time of the year. ”

Those words from the Linkin Park song could some how sum up this month. A lot of things happened and it feels like it was all a blur but yeah I will try to look back since I seem to have time today (and of course there is that pretending to be busy mode.)

I reached a goal back in July which is qualifying for the Milo Marathon finals. I also celebrated my 2nd cancer free year and bought a pair of Stand Up to Cancer running shoes which I decided to use on the Milo Finals. So even if there was no more time to qualify, of course I trained for the Milo Finals with the usual Milo Apex guys and met a few more friends along the course of the training.

Milo Apex MOA Season 7Apex

Of course there was the Bohol earthquake and the very famous Super Typhoon Yolanda but the training continued.

Just when the training was over, and it was time for us to party… I found myself here:

Camp Kapwa Tao, Ormoc

I was asked to join the rapid response team in Ormoc. So yeah I missed the party but I was glad I had the chance to be in Ormoc. It was a very rewarding experience.

I got back in time for the Milo Marathon Finals Carboloading party. It felt great to one of them. To be among the country’s fastest runners. It felt amazing to finaly be there and to see your name among the country’s fastest.


Then it was the finals! Undertrained, a little overweight, I prepared my gear the day I arrived from Ormoc. I have earlier decided to dedicate this run to those who fought Cancer. So eventhough the K-Swiss Stand Up to Cancer running shoes were not meant for me, I still decided to wear them and matched it with an orange singlet.

So there I was in the starting line with the Champios! It feels amazing to be among them! Hence when they started running, I ran along them. Eventhough I was not well prepared, I was surprised of my speed. My target was to finish in 4 hours and 30 minutes but halfway along the route, I was feeling great that I knew I could make it sub 4.

Milo Finals

Then there was dehydration on kilometer 30. I dropped by the portalet and panicked as the color of my urine was really dark. I ran to the nearest water station and drank, drank, drank and drank water. Then I just slowly ran to the finish line.

Finish Line!

I completed the race in 4 hours and 6 minutes! It was still a strong finish but hey just to be able to be in that race was already amazing. What a way to end the year! I am looking forward to being in the finals again next year!



About Kit Atienza

A researcher/runner/triathlete/cancer survivor who found himself in the world of development work. He enjoys, reflects, and rants about things while doing his job, improving his personal record in running distances, and training for the IronMan in 2016.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s