Daily Mile sent me a message earlier this week saying my friends missed my training. I was tempted to click the reply button and write “same here.”

Last week wasn’t that bad. I started with a 6.5K with speed intervals on Tuesday, a 6K indian run with Team MOA on Wednesday, and a 7K on Thursday. With these runs recorded in my Garmin, I announced on facebook that “we are back on track.”

I was really finding it difficult to run these days. I think I am getting lazy these days. Wasn’t able to do the required 15K weekend run on my training program because I was out of town the whole weekend. This week, I had dinners with people most evenings so no runs for me until last night.

With no runs for the week, I once again did an introspection asking myself what is wrong. Why am I always finding excuses not to run? So while trying to find the answers, I packed my running gear intentionally leaving my running shorts because I wanted a new one and went to the gym.

I dropped by the mall to buy shorts. It took me a while and I was starting to enjoy shopping so I bought the one that’s on sale and went to the gym to change and run. Having a massage and watching a movie were alternatives I was thinking of instead of running but I decided to run.

So there I was out in the street running before 7 PM. It was a good run. I was very relaxed. I saw a man waving when I was approaching my 1st kilometer and it was coach Mar. Said hi to him and continued with my run. Around 500 meters from where coah was, my foot landed on a hole in the ground. It twisted my ankle and made me roll.

That was my first running related accident. Scraped my knee so I used the water I had to wash the wound and to get rid of the things on my right arm. I tried walking and although there was pain on my ankle, I still managed to walk back to the gym.

Collected my stuff and noted that my left ankle was swollen. I know I need to ice my ankle but to be sure, I went to the Emergency Room of Manila Doctors. “Paano yan, di ka na makakatakbo sa RU2?” The nurses joked. I just smiled and told them that it was 3 weeks away. “Sir Kit, what happened?” That was the doctor who happens to be a gym mate asking me. “Takbo ka kasi ng takbo eh,” he added after checking my swollen ankle.

My wound was cleaned. My foot was x-rayed. I was given a pain reliever and asked to put ice on the swollen ankle. X-ray results showed no fracture but I was advised to see a doctor just to be sure.

So that was my 1st fall. My ankle is still swollen so I won’t be running this weekend (planned to do 16K). Hence this week, I will have no mileage. I will rest.



About Kit Atienza

A researcher/runner/triathlete/cancer survivor who found himself in the world of development work. He enjoys, reflects, and rants about things while doing his job, improving his personal record in running distances, and training for the IronMan in 2016.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Falling

  1. Boo Toledo says:

    you are a very strong athlete… you’d recover before you know it! 🙂
    soooooo…. American Pie-The Reunion, shall we? 😛

  2. Kit Atienza says:

    Thanks Boo! I already watched it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s