Adobo Run

After 3 weeks of rest due to my operation, I was so happy when my doctor told me that I can start lifting weights and start jogging again. I was so excited that I informed my personal trainer right away that I will be working out come Saturday. I would have went straight to the gym that day but since I was attending a conference, then I can’t. There was also a planned long run (20K) with friends that Saturday. I told them I’d join so that I would be building mileage again for the Singapore Marathon. I backed-out last minute because my Yaya is going home.

Saturday came and after sleeping longer, I talked to Yaya and left for BHS to have breakfast with friends. During breakfast, we talked about joining the Adobo run in costume. We weren’t registered but we were going there for the fun. I slept again when I got home then went to the gym. I was not allowed to workout. They said I need to rest for 3 months because it is a major operation (as if they were doctors). I didn’t have my doctor’s clearance so I went home disappointed.

I got excited again when I started dressing up for Adobo run. I was there early so I registered. I wasn’t sure what distance to run so I took the shortest route – 3K. It was actually my first 3K race as I started running with 5K races. It was also my 1st run after my operation.

I wasn’t really too keen on doing it. I was thinking of giving my race bib away but I so miss running a race that I just had to do it. We reached the starting line with the 3K race already starting. I left my bag with Mark and started rushing to the starting line where 5K runners were already lining up.

Son there I was gasping for breath after a long vacation from running. Took pictures of runners in costume and joked with people at the water stations. Initially, my plan was not to stop for water but I need to catch my breath so I stopped. I even asked the one lady at the water station to take my photo. I overtook many runners and was always checking if my neck was already bleeding.

I finished with the time of 18 minutes + a few seconds (gun time). I think my speed was around 5 kilometers per minute so I guess my chip time would be around 15 minutes.

It was a great run and it wasn’t a bad come back for me.




About Kit Atienza

A researcher/runner/triathlete/cancer survivor who found himself in the world of development work. He enjoys, reflects, and rants about things while doing his job, improving his personal record in running distances, and training for the IronMan in 2016.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s